Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
What is this? Obssessive compulsive or Other?

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

My daughter will be 9 years old soon. Problems we are havng when we the parents ask her a question she answers I dontknow or answers correct anser then doubts herself i dont know maybe this is for just about most of her answers.I asked her y she does this she said if I dont remember exactly what happen i feel like i am lying to u and I feel guilty or bad. Now she is geeting confused wither feelings too she doesnt really know if she was mad or sad.another thing I think i love u but that has gotten better. piano practicing if she  had to 3x 1 song & she got an error on practicing she felt she couldnt count that time & would have start allove. now homework she cannot remmeber studyng  & go over her homework she is using check marks she said she was going crazy. Also if she is studying & she doesnt remembe & we ask her about homework she saids she feels like she lying to us.  Erasing to make perfect circles sometimes. But she is notdoinganything repepittive, making perfectectionist in anything else. Her writing is not perfect. But when she is doing her hair it is to perfect at times. What can we do she sees a therpaist but she treating as obssessive & iwas thinking she needs cognitive thinking about the lying.The therapist does know what it is help & she has 30 years experience.
It sounds like the key reason you write is you are  concerned and wondering if the therapist is doing a good job.  I don't think the key question is what is perfectionism, OCD, or other diagnostic categories.  A good therapist will treat the problems, not the diagnosis.  A good therapist will use a range of techniques as needed.  If the therapist is experienced, has a good reputation, and is familiar with a range of techniques, everything is probably on track.

If you have questions about your daughter's progress, the therapist's technique, or anything else, it is probably a good time for a conference with the therapist.

tg
Did you ever find an answer to what might be wrong with your 9 year old daughter?
From reading the symptoms it sounds like shes' just second guessing herself and is seeking to give the right answer.  Maybe she has faced embarrassment in her class
or someone has made fun of her or she feels "stupid" or "crazy".  I don't believe a child of her age should ever think of saying she might be going crazy or that she feels guilty or bad.  Maybe she doesn't need to have so many irons in the fire at her young age, ie piano practice.  It all sounds very confusing to me so I can only imagine how your daughter is feeling.  It could be a maturity issue or delayed processing.  But for all practical purposes your child sounds normal.  I've got 4 children and 6 grandchildren and I've recieved similiar answers from them when they were younger.  Some of the answers were evasive because they didn't have an answer.  Or they would daydream or not paying full attention.  I know if she really doesn't have a problem that I'd be very fearful that in discussing or pushing her for an answer. She might grow to feel she truly has something wrong with her when in reality she doesn't.