Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
how to stop

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

how to stop
i am a compulsive liar. it has caused so many problems.how can i stop lying to people?
What sorts of things do you lie about?  What do you think is the real reason you do it?  What do you imagine would happen if you stopped magically at midnight tonight?

tg
i lie about almost everything.like why i got fired,things i say and stuff i do.but i do it cause i don't want people to be mad at me.
I wonder what it would take to find the courage to tell the truth and live with people's reactions, mad, disappointed, but probably no worse than where the lying takes you.

Have you had experiences that have left you feeling that people being mad at you is not just uncomfortable (as it is for everyone) but feels dangerous?  If so, are you now much less vulnerable and more able to protect youreself than you were back in that scary time?

Would you be open to getting some therapy around this problem?

tg