Compulsive Behaviors Expert Forum
obsession over past
About This Forum:

Questions in the Compulsive Behaviors forum are answered by Ted A Grossbart, Ph.D. from Harvard Medical School.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
obsession over past
I have a extreme tendency to obsess over past issues they are usually events that I regret and embarass me I think about these events often when I am stressed out in phases usually and any reminder of the events can trigger a episode I always feel the same sense of embarassment or shame over what happened and it can effect my mood they episode is usually over quickly. I have tried some methods of coping like thinking of a blank sheet of paper until I feel better or counting to try to block the episode from hitting me sometimes it works pretty good but not fully  Please help me I ahve really no access to dr.  I am a mother of 2 small children and want to get rid of this problem. what are some other coping strategies I can use any info would be helpful
Discussion is closed
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
716143 tn?1232351325
These blocking strategies are a good first level of defense.  From there I would add really focusing on the question, "If I weren't thinking or feeling about  X, what would I be thinking about?"  Obessions are often a way of protecting ourselves from other deeper concerns.

You have a tendency to beat yourself up about things, so think about who taught you this approach.  Is continuing a sort of misguided loyalty to your 'training program'?

Let me know how these go.

tg

Discussion is closed
Cancel
A
A
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now