272?1253650257
Computer User Group
problem that came up last night for me
About This Group:

If you have any computer related questions, you may post them in this community. I am going to college to become a Computer Systems Specialist and would love to help anyone out with their technical questions they may have. :) You may also chat about any Computer/Technology related topic here. Anyone may join!!! :)

Founded by Please_Help950 on September 22, 2009
66 members

problem that came up last night for me

Yesterday, I got on one of my computers after having shut it down earlier to run out on an errand and found when I ran a utility program, it froze & looked garbled.  I rebooted it and it no longer sprang into action.  I heard the fan running continually in the back of it...a shuttle xpc3200 unit.

I wondered if it was the graphic card.

So...I took it apart and cleaned the dust out (scale of 1 to 10...about a 5)....looked over parts for bulging capacitors or leaking ones.  Looked ok.  On a hunch I took both mem sticks out and popped in one unused one that was extra from years ago and hooked up to a different monitor with peripherals.  It worked.  I put one of the 2 memory sticks I had pulled back in & hooked back up to the original monitor, etc....didn't work, so that solved the problem as I pulled it out & put the remaining one that was with it in and "voila"...computer works.

I will probably bid on ebay or outright buy more memory as it is an older one & locally if it should be in a radio shack or other computer store, it would be inflated...yuck!!

I am happy now as I was using the computer for work, etc. and even though I was able to put the sata drive out & copy things via a blacx..blackwidow, I had the printer & scanner drivers on this one...saves some time.

Funny thing is that I bought a Asus mini notebook at Best Buy earlier in the day and then this happened.  I can be superstitious at times & thought God was sending a message I shouldn't have bought it.  I haven't opened it yet...lol!  I already had an Acer notebook from a year plus ago I got at Sams for under $400 (they were higher then).  The Asus is the EEEEEEEPc...lol!  This one has a 250 gig harddrive with win 7 basic (yuck) whereas my Acer has winxp home edition.  I use it to read e-books, work related material, e-mail, surfing, etc.

I may take the Asus one back.  They are so cute....little baby computer laptops :-)))

1 Comment
lol Well im glad you fix your problem. Memory is one of those things that just wear out. I dont like using Ebay for tech things because it can often be fake or extremly cheap. I would go with NewEgg. Ill take your notebook off your hands lol :D Windows 7 is okay i too like XP the best. That why when i build mine im think of install windows XP on it. 7 and vista hog your ram up and they just not as nice. That and i know all the ins and out of an XP.  
zodiacqueen is worrying about Jade and ... Comment
Sep 06
zodiacqueen commented on Official Announcement...
Sep 04
Becca323 ... Comment
Aug 29