Congestive Heart Failure Community
15-20% heart function

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

15-20% heart function

My friend has congestive heart failure and the doctors told him his heart is only functioning at 15-20%.
He has fluid all over his body that they can't get out.  What are his chances of survival?
What happens is that the weak heart makes the kidney unable to function properly.  The body retains water and the kidneys are not able to do their job.  The kidneys that are failing, make the heart worse.  It is a cycle.  Is his urine clear or does it have color?  Clear urine means that the kidneys are not working properly in people with CHF.  Have the doctors spoke about putting in a heart pump?  A heart pump would do the work of the heart.
Thanks for your reply. He told me that his urine is golden but he's not sure if that's due
to the different meds that the doctors are giving him for his diabetes to keep the sugar
levels down. His doctors have not mentioned anything to him about a heart pump though.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
With such a severe CHF, the prognosis is usually not that good. This is known as decompensated heart failure. It’s not only the heart is diseased but the back pressure on other organs like kidneys, liver, intestines etc also plays a role in deteriorating the condition of the patient. Such patients are also prone to frequent disturbed cardiac rhythms resulting in worsening CHF.
However, a strict compliance with medications and diet will definitely help. Overall, the prognosis is not that good.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind regards.

BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
ChitChatNine commented on Croup - I thought adu...
Jul 16
173749 commented on Croup - I thought adu...
Jun 21
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
Jun 10