Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Aortic valve stenosis

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Aortic valve stenosis

Hello dear doctor, my dad who is a 62 year old chain smoker has been admitted to a local hospital after a bout of severe SOB and bloody sputum. On admission BNP was around 500 with progressive elevation of cardiac troponins. The cardiologist told us that echo showed dyskinesia on left ventricular walls and aortic valve stenosis with a severe audible murmur. He also told us that he suffered no MI and that the elevation in BNP and troponins was due to aortic valve problems. My dad suffered a syncope 6 hours after admission. We are considering transferring him to a hospital specialized in cardiac surgery. He is currently on a mechanical ventilator. Your opinion regarding this matter will be highly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am terribly sorry to hear about what your dad is going through.

Based on the information you provided to me, it sounds like he is suffering from the effects of severe aortic stenosis.  And if this is the case, from a therapeutic standpoint, there is no "medication" that will reverse his condition.  Medications can and should be use to stabilize him but he will ultimately require an intervention performed on his aortic valve (if this is the directon he would like to go).  Typically, the intervention is surgical aortic valve replacement.  However, in some instances, a less invasive approach referred to as TAVR can be used to replace the aortic valve while avoiding surgery (however only select hospitals perform this and he may/may not be an appropriate candidate).

If he is stable enough for transfer, I would highly encourage you to transfer him to a hospital highly skilled in complex valve surgeries and valve interventions if possible.

Wishing you only the best.

Dr. Rich

Thanks Dr. Rich, your advise is always very precise and effective.