Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
CHF or Pneumonia?

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

CHF or Pneumonia?

A dear friend in his early 80's, never really sick, has & is being treated for congestive heart failure...although no problems in past few years. He is also on coumadin but not sure the reason,,,has a cardiologist. Just had his yearly check with cardio Dr a few weeks ago & all well.
A few days ago he was unusually exhausted...then could not sleep that night.  Slept off & on all day.  The next night he began wheezing...next day still exhausted.  Has had a runny nose for a month but it is clear. Voice sounds a bit different.  Finally made app with Fam Dr for today...by the time he arrived at Dr's totally worn out.  I'm thinking he should have gone to cardio DR.  This family Dr diagnosed pneumonia after listening to lungs & I suppose heart too.  Can you tell just from that?  He placed him on antibiotic & did tell him to check back if not a bit better tomorrow.  Your thoughts?