Congestive Heart Failure Community
CHF with stage 4 renal failure question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

CHF with stage 4 renal failure question

Hi I am a caregiver to my step dad who is 65. He came to live with us last June because his health was quickly declining. He has CHF, has suffered 9 small heart attacks, has type 2 diabetes, and stage 4 renal failure witha slew of other issues. He was admitted to ICU last Wed and came home Fri after suffering a small heart attack due to a virus that caused a CHF flare up. They pumped him with diuretics to push the fluid which in returns hurts his failing kidneys more:( they also sent him home on Prednisone to help with inflamation (inflammation) but makes his blood sugars soar...also not good on kidneys. Seems this happens this time of year with all the sickness going around. Oh I feel helpless!!!! He almost died last June he was admitted to hospital for a week for bad lung infection, come to find out the held his diuretic afraid it would hurt his kindney when he was actually suffering heart failure, he gained 20 pounds in hospital. They discharged his with O2 stats at 70 when walking and told me he had COPD. After being discharged for 2 hours he suffered another heart attack and was put on life support in ICU for 5 days, by some miracle he survived. They did that to him!!!! I could not prove medical malpractice becuase he has too many problems, but it did happen. So that happened in June and I decided to bring him home because I have no idea how long this will continue. Hes also legally blind and takes tons of meds. I put him on strict carb consistant diet,low sodium,ect. He's lost 30 lbs. in 7 months and hasn't been in the hospital until last week, but with good reason. So he's back at home recovering tomorrow is his last dose of prednisone hes still coughing a bit and we are using a neb, his weight is staying the same so thats good. We follow up with the heart Dr later this week. He did suffer some small damage to the top of his heart but the Dr wants to ride it out as long as we can. they know if they cath him we are to the point of no return of normal kidney function and dialysis is all we have left. They dont even know if a repair or dialysis would improve quality of life either. Im just hoping that he will recover from this virus and be back to his baseline. Theres no fever but lots of coughing still on prednisone and using neb treatments. makes me think its the CHF and he wont get better because his heart was really damaged more than they think. I dont know what to think. Its a waiting game for now, but painful and stressful to watch. He coughs and coughs. I don't know whose more tired him or me! Hes been diagnosed with CHF for about 7 years and diabetic for 15. Of course he never took care of himself and my mom didnt help him either, so now we all pay the price:( anyone else dealing with these issues?
I wish I had the words to help you, I just don't know what to say. I had to care for both of my parents this past year for a couple of weeks each due to horrible illnesses and they both came very close to death. Fortunately they recovered and are well again and in fact moving to a house down the street from me here in SLC from their current home in Phoenix.

You can only do what you can then the love for him kicks in and you do a little more. Stay strong and remember that some day you will be repaid for your kindness.
My husband also has CHF, Type 2 Diabetes, Stage 4 Kidney Disease and a defib-pacemaker.  The past three weeks he has been coughing due to severe edema.  His size 10 feet are in size 12 shoes.  I cannot get both of my hands arounds the calves of his legs.  His feet and legs look like they are going to burst.  He went to the doctor last week and they increased his lasix - 160 mg twice a day.  No change to the edema.  He went back yesterday and they prescribed Metolazone (diuretic).  He took one this morning at 7:00 am and at 10:00 am he had not noticed any increase in urination.  He also went to his cardiologist yesterday who said he did have fluid around his heart (cause of the coughing) but agreed with the diuretic prescription.  Next appointment is Friday with regular doctor and next Monday with cardiologist.  No one has suggested contacting his kidney doctor.  I am so worried.
I suppose  that the metolazone it is on top of the lasix. Is that correct?

Jesus
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition