Cardiac index
A co-worker has a patient who needs home inotropic therapy.  Based on her paperwork and in speaking to her physician, the patient has a cardiac index of 0.36.  Is this possible?  Can a person survive with an index this low?  The patient is currently on a Dobutamine gtt at 5mcg/kg/min continuously.  What is the lowest cardiac index sustainable for life?  The lowest I have personally seen is 1.2.  I know the normal range is 2.4-4.2 or so.

I would appreciate your input because I have been unable to find anything online regarding the lowest CI possible.

Thanks.
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
      Cardiac index is a measure of cardiac output in relation to the body surface area. This gives a idea of the performance of the heart in relation to the size of the individual. Normal value lies between 2.6 - 4.2 L/min per square meter. A value of less than 1.8L/min/m2 suggests of cardiogenic shock. As, you mentioned that the patient is on inotropic support, the need for this should be known to assess the status of the patient. 0.36 is a very low value of cardiac index, but not equal to zero. Hence, some amount of cardiac activity is present, which with inotropic support and other measures is to be improved. Hope this helps. Best.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1500525 tn?1458533598
Blank
uush uploaded new photos
Aug 16
566249 tn?1294661218
Blank
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
Jul 24
Blank
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
Congestive Heart Failure Community Resources