Chances of survival with heart failure during pregnancy
I have congestive heart failure and I'm 8 wks. pregnant. My left ventricle has an ejection fraction of 20%. What are the chances of a successfull pregnancy?
Hello and welcome to the forum.

You pose an important though difficult question to answer in terms of "percentages".  There is no doubt that having heart failure puts both you and the fetus at increased risk of complications. Having said that, we have managed many patients with heart failure through pregnancy with good results. Likely, if you are otherwise doing well, things will be ok until the end of 3rd trimester/around the time of delivery. Around this time, your body and heart will be pumping a lot of extra blood and this can take a bit of a toll on your heart and thus you will need to be watched closely.

The other important question is how "well compensated" is your heart failure. In other words, are you having to come in and out of the hospital with heart failure complications or are you, other than having a low EF, feeling quite well.

Regardless, I would make sure you discuss these things very openly with your cardiologist and make sure that you are being cared for by a team that has expertise in these areas.

Wishing you only the best in health and happiness.

Dr. Rich
I haven't had to be hospitalized for chf. I feel rather normal. This is my 2nd pregnancy. My first one I was able to carry my son to almost 40 weeks without any complications. Thank you for your response.