Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Chest Pain and Dizziness

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Chest Pain and Dizziness

About 9 months ago I woke up at night and went to get a drink, went back to bed and started to feel hot and sick. Went to the bathroom and threw some water on my face. I was still feeling bad and then suddenly my chest and arms started to get numb. The numbness lasted for only 15-20 seconds. My wife advised that we need to go to the hospital. We visited emergency where they conducted an EKG that was showed abnormal. They then conducted bloodwork that all showed normal. They set up a stress test 2 weeks away and sent me home. I advised them I was dizzy at that point but they said I was fine. Over the next week I was still extremely dizzy and had chest pain on and off so I revisited a different hospital. The again did an EKG that came back abnormal. They completed many tests blood work, chest Xray, and ultrasound. They then sent me for an angiogram. Angiogram showed normal. They sent me home and soon I visited the cardiologist where they conducted a stress test. I didn't last long because I was still dizzy and exercise was difficult. After an MRI on my chest the cardiologist has advised me that I had HCM thickening of my heart wall. I wore a heart holter for 2 weeks and a 24 hour blood pressure moniter. Which showed that I was non obstructive and that the symptoms were not caused by my heart. Oh and during all of this the hospital said that I had anxiety (never felt anxious before) so I was given Lorazepam which my family doctor took me off and put me on an SSRI. I have since stopped the SSRI. The dizzieness has minimized but still lingers and I get sharp pains at times in my chest. What else could this possibly be? I use to smole a pack a day but stopped cold turkey when this all started. I'm a 34 year old male 6 foot and 210lbs. My fater has had 2 heart attacks and is 62 years old. Please help because I am convinced that there has to be something wrong.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am not sure I will be able to define for you the cause of your dizziness. However, if you indeed have "HCM", while this may not necessarily be the cause of your dizzy spells, you should be seeing a cardiologist who has expertise in this condition.

I also feel very strongly about 2nd opinions if you are unsatisfied with the first.  Remember this is your health and there is nothing wrong with seeking out a 2nd opinion. If anything, if you receive the same feedback, this might provide you with reassurance.

All the best,

Dr. Rich