Chf risk
Little history. 36 year old female. High chloresterol for over 6 years. ECG done year ago which showed 2 leaky valves. Last few months been retaining a lot of water. Doc put me on water pill, but now added lasix.with a year worth of refills.

My grandmother died at 32 from CHF. My father and his one brother learned they had CHF in their 50s. Their other brother was 35 when he learned he too had CHF.

Should I be worried?
Hello and welcome to the forum:

Your family history is very suggestive of a genetic cause for heart failure.  In other words, it is possible that you carry a gene that will increase your risk of developing heart failure (in fact, if you are retaining significant fluid as you suggest, you may have a mild form of heart failure already).  On the other hand, despite a family history of heart failure, this does not mean that you will develop it (even if you carry the gene).

Regarding "should you be worried", I think there is reason to be concerned enough to seek a thorough evaluation by a specialist (ie a cardiologist or even better, a heart failure expert).  You will need an echocardiogram (perhaps this is what you meant when you said ECG--ECGs cant detect leaky valves) and perhaps other testing.

It is important to detect heart failure early (if this is what you have), because there are many medications and other therapies that can significantly slow the progression of the disease when detected on the early side.

However, first things first--you need to have someone determine if you have heart failure or not...

All the best,

Dr. Rich

Thank you Doctor!  I am under much pressure from my family in regards to CHF. The test I had done was an ultrasound and stress test. The ultrasound was ordered because of a heart murmur. I am concerned, no lie. This morning I weighed myself and I gained 2.6 pounds'. Pretty scary
Doctor Ratings & Reviews
Who are the top-rated Cardiologists in your area?