Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Chf risk

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Chf risk

Little history. 36 year old female. High chloresterol for over 6 years. ECG done year ago which showed 2 leaky valves. Last few months been retaining a lot of water. Doc put me on water pill, but now added lasix.with a year worth of refills.

My grandmother died at 32 from CHF. My father and his one brother learned they had CHF in their 50s. Their other brother was 35 when he learned he too had CHF.

Should I be worried?
Hello and welcome to the forum:

Your family history is very suggestive of a genetic cause for heart failure.  In other words, it is possible that you carry a gene that will increase your risk of developing heart failure (in fact, if you are retaining significant fluid as you suggest, you may have a mild form of heart failure already).  On the other hand, despite a family history of heart failure, this does not mean that you will develop it (even if you carry the gene).

Regarding "should you be worried", I think there is reason to be concerned enough to seek a thorough evaluation by a specialist (ie a cardiologist or even better, a heart failure expert).  You will need an echocardiogram (perhaps this is what you meant when you said ECG--ECGs cant detect leaky valves) and perhaps other testing.

It is important to detect heart failure early (if this is what you have), because there are many medications and other therapies that can significantly slow the progression of the disease when detected on the early side.

However, first things first--you need to have someone determine if you have heart failure or not...

All the best,

Dr. Rich

Thank you Doctor!  I am under much pressure from my family in regards to CHF. The test I had done was an ultrasound and stress test. The ultrasound was ordered because of a heart murmur. I am concerned, no lie. This morning I weighed myself and I gained 2.6 pounds'. Pretty scary