Congestive Heart Failure Community
Congestive Heart Failure at age 29

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Congestive Heart Failure at age 29

I am 29 year old male.............I have always been healthy until recently...........but for the last 2 years I have been tired in everything I do...........and I have a heart beat that slows way down with exchertion..............I took echo about 2 years ago and my ef was a 49 it was not to bad then about a year ago I took a catscan on my heart and my ef was 43 then just recently I did another and it dropped to 39.............so my doctor does not no the cause but has diagnosed me with a mild case of CHF......................why...........I am 29..............what does this mean.............should I be worried?????.................or is this no big deal............I have read all about CHF in older patients but there doesn't seem to be any information out there for me for younger people with CHF...............can someone please point me in the right direction..................my doctor only tells me that it is rare for someone my age to have CHF.............he can't seem to tell me much more than that though.
  • CHF (18 replies):
    What happens if one decdes nt to have a pacemaker? pyg1...[more]
  • Enlarged Heart and CHF (7 replies):
    My 68 year old grandmother has highblood pressure and wa...[more]
  • CHF (2 replies):
    How is CHF diagnosed? What is the basic criteria to warr...[more]
  • Echo results (3 replies):
    i was recently dianosed w/ CHF while reading my dischar...[more]
  • exercise for CHF (1 replies):
    How much exercise for 82 year old man with CHF
It is not typical for someone your age to experience CHF, and I'm wondering if it wouldn't be helpful to see a CHF specialist.  Are you seeing a cardiologist, or a family doctor?  the fact that your EF is dropping would seem to indicate some additional tests, or at the very least a discussion with someone familiar with CHF.  I wouldn't worry, but I'd want to find out more if I were you.
This is my 3rd cardiologist and finally they have put me with a CHF specialist..........I am on Coreg for it.................I was wandering is there information out there about younger people with CHF............My doctor always dances around some of my questions..........with we will see and most likely not answers...........or flat I don't know.......I understand that it is rare for my age..........I am just in search for what I can expect in the future.........as far as tests go I have done every test..........from stress, to dye test, to tilt table, heart monitor for 30 days (3 times know) ekgs every time, echos, even an ep study...........and every test shows that I am healthy but on each test it shows something is not right..........like my heart beat will be fine one time then it will be bad another time............and the latest is that if my ef drops to 35 they are going to put in a defibulator..................so I would just really like some info for me...........not older patients............on what I can expect from CHF
my daughter is 23 and has been in CHF for almost 4 years   her lowest ef had been 32 and now it is 45    a very good indicator of CHF is a blood test called BNP, brain natriuretic peptide.  This test is a very good indicator for CHF...   check with your cardiologist what those levels were at the beginning and what they are now...I was elated when my daughter's BNP level was finally normal a few months ago even with ef being at 42    if your BNP levels are improving with the help of coreg than you know that the meds are working and you can expect that your daily should not have to change with the diagnosis of CHF.   hope this helps       dawn
Diagnosed at age 31 with an EF25-30%, it may feel like the end of the world and yet it's not really. You will have to adjust as all who came before you and those that will follow after we are gone. Your case doesn't sound like a typically defined CHF case. But I can bet there treating you just the same. What to expect is the unexpected, keep a log of how you feel and what your capable of doing. Your life is changing, but it doesn't have to be all about what you could do, it's what you still can do. My outlook is simplistic in nature, I do what my heart allows me to do, I push when I can and watch for bed sores when I can't. And remember if all doctors were honest and said they don't know when they really don't, then how would all those over-inflated salaries get paid. For the record i've seen atleast 20+specialist, on my 21st so keep looking til you find that one whom will find the proper diagnoses and treatment, stay blessed your not alone, though at times you really are.
Good information. Although, I'm 54 yr old male I was just diagnoses with CHF....I'm having a hugh problem with it. I was very active, with, working out at the gym, bike riding on the weekends. I guess I thought I would be young forever. Just having a hugh problem trying to deal with this and adjusting my lifestyle. They should have support groups for this stuff. Even though my EF60 to 65% been in the hospital twice with this stuff, gets a little depressing at times and feel like the lone ranger out there. Anyways, thanks for you posting....
Im the same im 36 years old had a heart attack which has left me with severe heart failure but has now gone to mild but im finding it all very hard and it's affecting me mentally. Im on beterblockers and ramipril im seeing cardiologist oon Monday so hopefully I get something positive from him xx
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition