Congestive Heart Failure Community
Congestive Heart Failure w/perfect cholesterol etc?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

My 86 year old dad just got his physical with great results-Cholesterol 165/Ldl 1.3/triglycerides 72 mg/HDL 66/VLDL Cal 14mg /LDL Cal 85 mg. The rest of his physical lab numbers are as good.

He isn't overweight/doesn't drink/no diabetes-yet when his doctor saw swelling in the leg he feels that he may have congestive heart failure-he took an echo cardiogram on Friday and we meet the cardiologist tomorrow.

I just wonder how someone who has taken such good care of themselves could get this disease?
CHF means that his heart isn't able to pump well enough to pull the fluid out of his lower extremeties, thus causing swelling.

I have great labs, also, but have been diagnosed with CHF.  They tell me that my heart is weak and unable to pump well enough to pull the fluid out of my body.  I only have occasional swelling in my lower legs, or anywhere else in my body, but I have dialysis 6 days a week, as I also have stage 5 kidney failure..

The treatment for CHF, in my case, is Coreg, Enapril, and lasix, daily.  I also follow a low salt, low fat diet, and all of it together does make a big difference.

I know, from experience, that there is a super virus that is causing CHF in all age groups, and leaving people with liver, heart, and kidney failure.  It has killed two people that I know of.  One was only 20 years old, and the other was retirement age, and the doctors are still struggling to figure out what it is, and where it came from.  

You do need to know that CHF isn't a death sentence, in itself, but there will need to be changes made to medication schedule, and diet.  

I hope the best for you and your Dad.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
marilee176 bloating gas and indegestion Comment
Jul 16