Congestive Heart failure -- low ejection fraction
What is the lowest ejection fraction a person can have and survive? My husbands's LVEF was down to 9 in the fall of 2008, then came up to 17-18 (measured at 18 in October last year), but is now down to 12 (from dilated cardiomyopathy). He seems to be getting worse and has trouble breathing even when lying down and from minimal exertion. I am trying to find out what to expect, is this the final stage or can he live for some time and if so, approximately how long? He does have a defibrillator/pacemaker and is on ACE inhibitors and beta blockers. Any insight would be much appreciated.
We are all different, you already got your husband at 9% and survived....no one could tell you what the minimum will be for him. Keep also in mind that with a long history of HF, the problem may arise in other organs.

If he has problems breathing, chances are that he is retaining fluids, you do not mention that he is on any diuretic, but normally that helps a lot.

Jesus.