Conjestive Heart Failure and Pregnancy
I am a healthy 28 year old.  Just this last year, I had conjestive heart failure 1 week after delivering my child.  At the time I had a severe cold, so both my cardiologist and obgyn believe the cause was viral but can not say for sure.  With in 6mnths of my diagnosis, I was blessed and completely recovered and able to get off all my meds.  My heart was never truly enlarged, only slightly misshaped.  Both the size and shape of my heart and my ejection fraction are 100% normal.  I have two healthy children and would like to have another, with out the risk of anything happening to me.  I am having a hard time gathering information on this with the questions of the cause of my heart failure.  My question is would it be safe to have another child?  If so, what are the chances this could happen again and what are the chances if it did happen again that it could be terminal.  Any thoughts would be great.  Thanks.
Irrespective of the cause of CHF previously, I won’t suggest another baby for you as each pregnancy puts a significant amount of stress on one’s heart and it doesn’t make sense to take the risk when you already have 2 kids to look after and they need you a lot.
You can discuss the same with your cardiologist/gynecologist but for my patients who have got even one baby and there’s a history of CHF, then I don’t suggest another kid.
In your case, the risk may actually be quite less as your heart functions are fine presently compared to someone who has got a compromised EF. You may come out of the pregnancy absolutely fine but still it’s better to avoid taking such a risk when you already have 2 kids.
I hope that helps. Please keep me posted. Take care.