Congestive Heart Failure Community
Contrast dye and heart disease

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Contrast dye and heart disease

Approximately 12 years ago I was given a stress test with contrast dye.  At that time the results came back negative and I was told my heart was in very good condition and the pain I was experiencing was most likely due to my nuropathy caused by kidney disease.

Two and half years ago, I was diagnosed with a MI, and whisked away to a huge medical facility.  There I was diagnosed with a severe bleeding ulcer(down 50% blood volume), and Congestive Heart Failure.

My question is, could the contrast dye, used in the stress test be the cause of the Heart disease?
Avatar dr m tn
Any contrast dye used for seeing the functioning of any organ puts mainly one organ at risk and that is kidney as the contrast has to excrete through the kidneys. Hence, before doing any test where a contrast is used the kidney functions are tested. If the kidneys are not functioning properly or there’s an evidence of dehydration or there’s a slightest suspicion that the kidneys could be damaged, then the test using the contrast is not used. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Thank you, your response is helpful, as I also suffer from kidney failure, which was known prior to the stress test.

No precautions were taken to protect my failing kidneys and I am now facing End Stage Renal Failure.

Thank you
Please help, I was admitted to the hospital and they tagged me as sepsis.  I have them my medication and one included phentermine, a diet pill.  Alone with that why would they check my lungs and give me contrast??  Wouldn't they check my kidneys first and wouldn't they avoid all together contrast dye if they labeled me with sepsis??  Being that my understanding Sepsis can damage kidneys and to top it off taking a diet pill??
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Cindy, and ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 20
Cindy sends heartfelt thanks to a... Comment
May 18
Cindy commented on Cindy's status
May 18