Aa
A
A
Close
DCM treatment after meds fail?
I was diagnosed 9 years ago with DCM. My EF at that time was <30. I was hospitalized for a severe kidney stone which led to ecoli poisoning after becoming lodged for some time. I had a 3 year old at the time and a newborn at home so all of this was very frightening. Within 2 days of being released from the hospital I was in with a top notch cardio dr who assured me we could not fix this but slow down the progression. I was then put on several meds which I was told I would have to take every day from now on. Since that time some have changed due to simply no longer working. Currently I am taking HCTZ , potassium, aspirin, amlodipine, diltiazem, carvedilol, iron and magnesium. I have been on this regime for some time now. In January of this year I was diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) and had to have surgery to remove precancerous polyps. Before undergoing this my HF dr had to clear me and did another electrocardiograph. I was pleased to hear my EF had come up to 48-50. Since the surgery I have felt worse than I did before... Extreme shortness of breathe and an unexplainable fatigue, fluid retention, bluish circles under my eyes, vision trouble, severe headaches and neck pain. I thought with a higher EF I would feel better. According to my HF dr I have just about exhausted all possible meds. My questions are: 1) what should the next step be? 2) should a higher EF make you feel better or is it possible the EF has gone backwards? I have talked with a friend of mine who is a nurse about an LVAD but don't think I'm quite to that point. What is the prognosis/life expectancy with DCM? I was diagnosed at 25 and I am currently 34.  Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Cancel
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
My advise is to ask for a second opinion.

Also I know that today people with DCM can live many years (20+).

Jesus
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Comment
Post Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Answer
Post Answer
A
A
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
1500525 tn?1458533598
Blank
uush uploaded new photos
Aug 16
566249 tn?1294661218
Blank
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
Jul 24
Blank
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
Congestive Heart Failure Community Resources