Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Dilated left and right Atriums

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Dilated left and right Atriums

Back in November I was diagnosed with viral cardiomyopathy/ myocarditis. It was a mild case. I just had a follow up mri which showed that the myocarditis is fully resolved and the scarring is gone except one tiny spot that is about 3mm long. Ejection fraction is back up to about 51%....anyways my cardiologist called me and told me everything looked good. Said he wants to keep me on the meds for a year longer to let my heart rest a little more.......I recently requested a copy of my medical records and the mri I just had done showed that my left and right atriums are mildly dilated. Also mild mitral regurgitation, along with insufficient pulmonic valve and tricuspid valve.....My cardiologist did not mention any of that to me and I'm wondering if its something to be concerned about? Is it a big deal that both my atriums are dilated? Or do their sizes change? I would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am very glad to hear that your myocarditis improved.  Many cases do improve but on occasion they do not so this is great.

Regarding your questions, you really have nothing to worry about.  It is very normal for valves to have trace-mild "leakiness" if you will and it does not signify a problem.

Regarding your atria, the fact that they are mildly enlarged may also be nothing or may simply be a reflection of your previous myocarditis/cardiomyopathy.  They do not always shrink back down in size but again, mild enlargement wont cause you any problems.

Good luck and all the best,

Dr. Rich