Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Do BP meds actually help the heart??

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Do BP meds actually help the heart??

Have heart failure with EF about 30%.....taking 50mg cozaar....25mg aldactone...25mg toprolXL.....20mg lasix (as needed).....just curious if these meds I'm taking to keep BP in check also have properties that may actually help the heart?  I know doctors say to take the bp meds regularly no matter where the BP is (high or normal) but I'm finding I have days where my BP is just running low from time get up till going to bed...110/70 for instance ....so on those days not sure if I should lower dosage amount......not take (although don't like to not take) or what.....often if I take full dosage than I"ll be down to 90/50 ...headachy....lightheaded.
  My doctor tells me to take my meds not matter what my BP is running.....I understand why they say this but I've never asked him if by not taking full dose is hurting my heart failure........or these meds are strictly blood pressure lowering and don't actually help the heart............and I do realize that by keeping my BP low is helping the heart failure.....not sure if I've worded this right so hope you understand where I'm going with the question........the last thing I want to do is cause heart failure to get worse.....trying to improve my EF.......77yrs old......weak heart but willing to work on getting it stronger......if possible........
  Thanks for any input............
Hello and welcome to the forum:

1. Excellent questions:  These meds ABSOLUTELY have been proven to help your heart (delay worsening or in many instances, get the heart stronger).  Although they are also used to treat high BP, in your instance, they are very important to protect your heart even if your BP is not high.

2. I partially agree with your doc about ALWAYS taking them no matter what.  I agree that we should more or less ignore BP.  In other words, if BP is in the 90s but you feel fine, still ok to take meds.  However, if your BP is low and it is causing significant SYMPTOMS as well, then you may need to have your doc back off on the dose(s) ever so slightly.  A common reason why this might happen is if your a bit dehydrated.  If so, the approach would actually be to back off a bit on the diuretics (and this should allow you to tolerate the other meds which are quite important).

All the best,

Dr. Rich
Thanks for your comments as they indeed told me what I needed to know which is an understanding of why I'm taking certain drugs even with BP that is usually in the normal range.  This forum offers so many help in understanding health issues and Cleveland Clinic needs to be commended for offering this service....
   Thanks again.............
Your welcome, happy to help.  And, the Cleveland Clinic is indeed great but for your information, this forum is provided by the University of Chicago.

All the best.

Dr. Rich
Ok then I'll give my thanks to the Univ of chicago!!! As someone who grew up in suburban Chicago I well remember the University and knew many who attented that fine school............it must be a misconception that the Cleveland Clinic handles all these questions.....it's what I always thought.......that not being the case.....again....thanks to Univ of Chicago for offering this service........and your answers alone help many....