Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Ef of 15

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Ef of 15

My husband was diagnose with CHF six month ago. He was put on 5 different meds and a second echo was done after the six month and their has been no change in his EF.  What should we expect now.  Should he go for the defribulator or does he keep on waiting to see if his EF goes higher
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Without knowing many details, if your husband has been on a good regimen for 6 months and the EF remains low (not uncommon), in most instances I would recommend that defibrillator (simply as a "life insurance" policy---he may never need it but will be happy that he has it if he does).

Otherwise, continue to get the doses of meds as high as he can tolerated, he should remain active, and then go enjoy life, hopefully without too many symptoms...if down the road things were to get rough, there may be additional treatment options.

Best,

Dr. Rich