Congestive Heart Failure Community
Effects of Dialysis on Congestive Heart Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

My husband had a heart transplant 17 years ago and the anti-rejection medicine is killing his kidneys (short version). The kidney doctors do not want to put him on dialysis, but the heart doctors do. As his kidneys weaken we are also noticing that his heart is having more and more problems. I feel that the kidney doctors are killing his heart just to save his kidneys. He is awaiting a kidney transplant. He did not have any issues with his heart until the last two years and the echos have shown that there has been significate damage.

I personally feel that he should be on dialysis. I am not getting good answers from our doctors as to why he shouldn't be. Please give me the pros and cons so we can make an informed decision.

Thank you very, very much for your time.

Julie
What percentage are his kidneys working at?  Unless he is at end stage renal failure, they will not put him on dialysis, as a rule.  

I believe the kidney specialists are thinking that dialysis might throw him into a full fledged heart attack, and therefore, are a bit hesitant to take the chance.

One of the warnings you recieve when you go in to start dialysis is that you may have a heart attack, among several other problems.

I started dialysis July 6th, 2010, and had major heart problems that were made worse from starting the dialysis.  Since that time I have had a pacemaker/defib installed and I'm doing a lot better, even though I have dialysis 6 days a week.

I am a bit surprised that your husband is on the kidney transplant list, as he has a heart transplant, and usually if you need both, you get neither.  I've been turned down for transplants for that reason alone....I need both.

In any event, if your husband is put on dialysis, you need to know that it may be the undoing of his new heart, and I believe that is the reason it seems that the kidney specialists are not willing to help his situation.  They don't want to be the ones who cause him unthinkable problems.

I hope I have answered some of your questions...

I hope the best for both of you.
Thank you for your reply. We are very frustrated and the fact that they are not starting dialysis and is actually causing harm to his heart, We are facing the fact that it might just be the end of the life of his heart transplant (very sad) but dealing with it. Just wish doctors would be more honest about what really happens or could happen to bodies with transplants. I don't think they are forthcoming with facts or statistics as they could be.

I wish you all the best with your health and I hope you have a long and happy life. God Bless.

Julie
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition