End Stage CHF and Loss of Appetite
Hi there,
My father is diagnosed with CHF and is in end stage. He eats nothing, just drinks soup or fruit juice. But recently, he hardly drinks.I give him Supradyn (including Coenzyme Q10) twice a day to maintain his vitamin/mineral needs. But unfortunately his nutrition lacks of protein and he gets more fatigue.
I have two questions:
1) How can I get him to eat or drink something? Cardiologists whom I know dont prescribe anything to stimulate his appetite nor advice to do something for it.
2) Because he hardly drinks (never eats), I sometimes give him some mineral water for intaking Sodium,Potassium and Magnesium (they are very low in blood count). Is mineral water is good for him?
Thanks in advance,
Best regards
Check for "enteral Nutrition" . You will find there drinks designed to substitute whole meals for indefinite time.

Jesus
Thanks a lot for your answer but I dont think that daddy accepts to have enteral nutrition.
Why not?

Be aware that all the enteral nutrition can be drunk like any other drink. There is no need to use a catheter.

And you have it in several flavors.

Jesus
Is there any alternative to enteral nutririon?
I do not understand your objection to enteral (do not confuse with parenteral) nutrition, that it is designed specifically for problems like the one that you describe.

To my understanding there is no other way to administer a FULL, well balanced, liquid nutrition if you do not use it.

You can try to make different sorts of milk shakes including sugars and fibers from fruits and vegetables and proteins from milk and eggs but it is very difficult not to get too much sugars... and you will miss vitamins and minerals. And you will not have a clear idea of how many calories are you giving.

Jesus

Jesus