End stage symptoms of CHF
My father is 77 and in the end stages of congestive heart failure.  We want to know what symptoms to anticipate and in what time frame.  He is suffering with all the symptoms commonly listed and their are progressively getting worse, but what next and what about at the end?  When do we know it is time to call hospice?  Will he slip away in his sleep?  His doctor is wonderful and has helped him live much longer than expected, but we know the time is coming and we want to be informed of what to expect.  Please feel free to share your thoughts, experiences and advice; it will be greatly appreciated and respected.  
GOD BLESS,
My mother passed away in my arms from Congestive Heart Failure and diabeties. The last night at home, I was awaken by a silent call by name and I jumped up, out of my bed and by her side immediate. She was soak and wet from sweat and stated that she felt something in her heart. It turned out to be a blood clog entered her heart. She was coherent, but also had difficulty breathing although with a respirator to help her breath. I called an ambulance and within 2 days, she passed from a heart attack. Please don't wait, take him to the emergency room immediately. They will do everything they can for him and reassure him that you are there for him, because one day this will bring you comfort to know you did everything for your father. My mother was 70 (passed July 19, 2007). You are in my thoughts and prayers. Judy