End stages of congestive heart failure.
My husband has a enlarged heart, and the doctor said he was in the end stages of congestive heart failure. His heart is only pumping 15% now and they put him on dobutamine by IV 24 hours a day. I have a 16 year old son that I need to talk to about his dads condition.  I need to know how long a person can live while taking this drug.  Thank you!!!
I am afraid that no one can gives you an answer to that. It depends on many factors including his general status and complications in other organs.

What I can tell you is that, with the same information that you have given us,  there are people that are living normal lives.

You can see a post here where a wife wrote about her husband: "The news gets worse.  They are sending my husband home to die.  They say his heart is too weak to withstand surgery.  His best chance is with an ICD but he wouldn't survive the procedure...."

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Congestive-Heart-Failure/Please-Help/show/1475383?personal_page_id=1866662#post_6748720

Today he is recovered at home.

Never lost the hope, look for a second opinion if needed, tell us your concerns it you feel like ....

Jesus
My heart rate has been at 15% for over 4 years, and I'm still going strong.

I have an ICD implant, take my meds religously, and following a high pro, low sodium diet, along with kidney dialysis 6 days a week.

Never give up, there is hope, but you'll have to find a doctor who isn't willing to give up either.

I hope the best for you all........
Dear prooudmom
Does your husband have an ICD with resyncronization therapy. if not, why has not he gotten the attention to keep his life going on?
You have to search for all the possible treatments if it is what he wants, specially because your kid is so young, But I think the best anwer is  that of gmachris, you can get better even when people think that you have no chance at all, and you can leave this world because of some stupid flu.
You have to be strong, and look for the doctors to explain you what is next, and do not forget second opinions, third opinions, etc.