Enlarged right side of heart
I had an echo done in October 2009 that show and enlarged right atrium and right ventricle.  I was and am still having problems with shortness of breath.  I have recently started to have swelling in my feet and abdomin.  My cardiologist, actually the two cardiologists I have seen since that echo have told me that I am fine and have nothing to worry about. My shortness of breath sometimes keeps me from doing anything but going to work and going home.  I have a history of pregnancy induced congestive heart failure 5 years ago.  I was treated and my heart has been fine ever since then.  My ejection fraction is at 50-55%.  I'm worried about right sided heart failure.  I take diurectics for a week and so and I'll feel better for a few weeks then it all comes back again.  Can you diagnosis pulmonary hypertension from an echo?  I'm considering moving to a new group of cardiologists.  I really liked this group 5 years ago, but now I have seen 3 different doctors in this group and no one seems to want to help me.  I'm a little scared and don't know what to do.
Welcome to the MedHelp forum!
Right side heart enlargement occurs mainly due to clots in pulmonary arteries, pulmonary hypertension, emphysema and chronic obstructive lung disease, and heart valve disease. It can also be secondary to poor left heart function (does not appear to be in your case).
A chest x-ray is done to see if the pulmonary arteries are enlarged. Electrocardiography (ECG) and echocardiography (ECHO) detect problems with right side of the heart and the valves. Pulmonary function tests are done assess the extent of lung damage. Oxygen level is measured in blood e taken from an artery in an arm.
Confirmed diagnosis of pulmonary hypertension can be made by passing a tube through a vein in an arm or a leg into the right side of the heart to measure the blood pressure in the right ventricle and the pulmonary artery.
You are right, if you are having swelling in your feet and your ECHO is showing right heart enlargement it should be followed up with further tests. Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!