Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Father in critical condition...looking for answers.

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Background: 4 years ago my father suffered from a major stroke.  He lost most mobility in good left side, had a brain aneurysm, is diabetic, and just two days ago had a heart attack.  He was unconscious when the ambulance got to him and suffered a second one while in the hospital.  

The doctors have put four stents in his heart and cooled his body temperature to 30 Celsius.  

They started warming him back up yesterday, but now his body temperature is 38.8 Celsius, his heart rate is near 100, and his blood pressure is 177/76.

My question is, what would his chances of survival be
Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am terribly sorry to hear about the condition of your father.  Unfortunately, I am unable to answer your question about chances of survival.  Too much information that I do not have at my disposal.  What I can tell you is that his blood pressure is reassuring from a cardiac performance standpoint.  From your description, I would suppose the biggest question/unknown is what is his neurologic status.  Hard to know if his brain was deprived of oxygen for a significant period of time or not.  This will likely impact his survival the most.

I imagine that both cardiologists and neurologists are involved in his care.  I would ask your question to them.

Wishing you the best,

Dr. Rich