Congestive Heart Failure Community
Flu and Heart Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Flu and Heart Failure

How important is it to get the flu and/or pneumonia vaccine, being that I have heart failure.  I just heard about the recent death in Washington where the individual had a heart condition, pneumonia and swine flu.  I was recently diagnosed with CHF in January, so all this is still very new to me.
It is very important to get these shots especially if you have CHF.  My mom had CHF and always got these shots.  The pneumonia shot lasts 15 years.  People who have CHF are more prone to getting pneumonia.  It does not cover every strain of pneumonia, but covers quite a bit.  
I read a recent newstory that stated that Swine flu can be potentially more lethal in people with heart disease because medications used to reduce fluid build up in their lungs will fail to work as effectively  if they catch the flu, also the stress of trying to fight off a fever can be too much for their hearts. Cardiologists are recommending that patients with heart disease be among the first to receive the Swine Flu vaccine.  Researchers have also found that overuse of antiviral medications used to treat influenza could ease the way for drug-resistant strains of H1N1. WHO is recommending that patients with mild to moderate symptoms to refrain from taking antiviral medication.  

You can check it out here....http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/01/AR2009090101475.html
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition