Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Heart Disease of Father(Age 70+)

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Heart Disease of Father(Age 70+)

Hi, my father got angiography and detected few blockages like double vessel coronary disease and treated with angioplasty PTCA to RCA done with Pronova stent 3.5X28mm on 9th august 2011 but angioplasty to LCX is not done (PCTA-LCX). Recently he is getting faint and having syncope attack in last 2years four times. The holter monitor done couple of times but it's was fine till the last holter got some bad points. below is the description :-
This time father was admitted to hospital on 31/12/2012.Holter moniter shows the basic rhythm to sinus. The max and min heart rates were 112 at 7.40am and 32 at 7.46am with an average heart rate of 75bp. Few tachy brady episodes with short sinus pauses(max- 2.4sec at 7.46am) noted. Complete heart blockage also noted (7.47am to 7.48am)- 1min. Few isolated ventricular ectopics noted. No significant ST-T changes observed. Patient had no symptom while holter monitoring. All the blood reports like CBC are normal with a little high on potassium and little less on sodium noted. There was a chest infection treated with antibiotics tajact injection. Chest x-ray is also clear. my dad is looking little tired and feeling drowsiness most of the time. Is it something really serious, I am really tensed doctor. ECG also done on jan 2nd it's normal with limits.
He is taking the medicines given below.Deplat -A 150,Rozavel 20,Olsar H40,Prolomet XL 100,Pantocid DSR.BloodPress-130/80 on 25/1/2013
Hello and welcome to the forum:

This is a forum for question regarding congestive heart failure and thus you may want to consider posting in a general cardiology forum.

However, it sounds like your father needs to continue to be evaluated for the cause of his syncope.  I would have him get an echo to ensure that his systolic function (how well the heart contracts) is normal and would discuss with his cardiologist whether his coronary artery disease could be contributing or not.  

The most important aspect of sorting out the cause of the syncope, however, is the "history" and it is certainly possible that he is fainting for reasons other than his heart.  However, I understand your concerns.  Please ensure that he is being seen by a cardiologist who you trust as well as a general internist who might approach the fainting for a general perspective as sometimes cardiologists can develop a bit of "tunnel vision" and focus only on the heart.

All the best,

Dr. Rich