How Many Stages of Congestive Heart Failure is there?
I was Diagnosed 3 weeks ago with congestive heart failure now I have no clue what it is all about. I seen a heart specialist and he was more interested in my liver producing to much iron go figure, Anyway I still dont know what is going on and what I must do. I didn't even know there was stages of this thing. I would appreciate and advice i can get. Thanks. Jesse
I can't tell you how many stages of heart failure there is, but I can tell you that I have stage 4, so I know there are at least that many.  My EF is 20-30 percent, after 3 years of taking 25mg of Coreg, twice a day, along with diltiaziem, and lasix(up to 120 mg. per day), I have improved from an EF of 15%.  It wasn't just the meds that caused the improvement, but a strict diet, and as much exercise as I could manage on a daily basis.

I have recently had a defib/pacemaker installed, to the tune of $191,000+ the fees for the doctor, and her band of helpers,  and they tell me that my condition will improve with time because of that.  It's been a little over 3 months since the installation and it doesn't seem to make much difference yet.

What you can expect should be a regimine of medication, a sodium and fat restriction, and if you smoke or drink, or have a couple of extra pounds on your body, then you will be instructed to quit smoking, quit drinking, and lose the extra weight.

I hope I have shed some light on the subject for you....good luck.
Jessi,
There are 4 stages from I to IV .... they are defined by the gravity of your symptoms. At stage I you are symptoms free and at stage IV you hardly can do anything.

But I am very surprised that you got a dx of HF and you were not given any medication or changes in life style.

Jesus
the night i was rushed to the hospital they gave me warfaren and water pills and oxygen.They took blood EKG and chest xray.But no one has given me any meds or advice in 3 weeks
I hope that before you finish with the specialist, he will give you some medication ... do not be choked .. it can easily be 5 or more different types of pills.  

The reason why he is worried about iron is because if your body accumulates  too much  your heart will suffer.

Jesus
I was rushed to hospital in congestive heart failure at 49 yo.  They did an echocardiogram and chest x-ray.  They discovered I had a damaged heart valve and I went to surgery quickly.  Have you had an echo?  You might also ask for a second opinion.

Catherine
I am not sure how they number the stages of CHF but I was told in December of 2005 that I needed a heart transplant and my EF was 9, I had a defibrillator/pacemaker installed and was on 13 different drugs. I felt very poorly from all the drug interactions as well as the CHF so I researched all alternatives. I found LInus Pauling and several doctors that  use Vitamin C and other nutrients. I used mainly the Vitamin C  and lysine until May 2006 and the test ran at that time showed my EF at 45. All drugs were dropped except for Coreg, Rampril, Fouriside and Dioxgen, the later two eevery other day. I find the Vitamin C and several amino acids do wonders in the right quantities.