How to handle diuretic?
My husband has had edema in feet, ankels and little leg involvement. His cardiologist keeps telling him to take his lasix 20mg and even go up to 40 or 60mg when necessary.  It doesn't seem to do any good in reducing the edema...if at all it is minimal. We noticed over last week that there were a couple of days where we were super busy and he just forgot to take the lasix.....lo and behold...the edema reduced dramatically.  Today after 4 days of being off the lasix the edema is coming back. Does this make any sense?  He does have emphysema (severe) and we realize it is having an effect on the heart.....but this edema has been an ongoing problem for a year or two with the lasix not really doing much.  And all the dr says is "keep taking it and increase if necessary".......why would he have a reduction in the edema when he is off the drug?  What should he be doing?
Thanks!!
    grannyheart
Normally, the edema shouldn’t reduce when one is off a diuretic. However, there are other factors also which contribute to the development of edema like amount of salt intake, exercise, cardiac output (functioning of the heart) etc and that could have contributed in the decrease of edema during that phase. However, he’ll need lasix on long term basis. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.