ICD
Hey guys my doctor has been talking to me about getting an ICD. Is there anyone out there that has one? And if so,
What was the surgery like?
Is there any visual scarring and can you actually see the device?
If you have gotten shocked did it hurt, from 1 to 10 - 10 being the most painfull.
I've had an ICD for a couple of years, and yes there is a scar about 3 inches long, on my left chest, and the ICD sits just under the skin.  It's about the size of a flip phone, and because I'm real thin, it does stick up about 1/2 inch.

I've never been shocked, but I've heard it's like being kicked by a mule.  However, after it was installed and set especially for me, my EF went from 15% to above 40%, and my heart paces on it's own about 99.8% of the time, so I feel like it was worth it, and there is security knowing that it will bring me back if my heart should try to stop.  On the other hand, when my time comes, it will have to be removed, and I don't like that idea, because it will continue to try to restart my heart.  Of course, at that point, I don't think it will matter to me.

I'm not trying to scare to you, but no one told me the truth going into the surgery, and they still haven't told me about it having to be removed at the time of death, I found that out on my own, by reading about ICDs online.

Would I have it done again, knowing what I know, yes, because it has done some good, and it gives me some peace of mind.  
If there is only an ICD I think  you cannot  expect the benefits that gmachris mention. I guess that she has an ICD with bi ventricular resyncronitation.
Is that correct?

Jesus
Thanks so much for informing me...but when u say they have to remove it AT TIME of death...how do they know when its that time?
Yes, that is correct.  My heart was in pretty bad shape when they installed the device, and it was meant to improve the situation.

Now my doctors look at my numbers and and tell me they are nothing short of amazing.
I'm not sure how they know when it's that time.  Perhaps it's when it continues to go off and the person doesn't revive.  It's a really good question though, that you should ask your doctor, then come back and let us all know.
Ook. Ok I will :)
Hi i too have a defibrillator that was put in in march of this year due to congestive heart failure and an EF RATE OF 18. I am starting to feel a little better i am still tired but it's getting better.lately I have been having pains in my left breast especially in the nipple area.
I have an ICD and no scar.  I just checked in the mirror to make sure.  Mine doesn't stick up either.  The area was sore and also sometimes sore going down to my heart for a couple of months.  If I rolled over in bed it would wake me because of the soreness but after the inital 6 wks or so any pain related to the ICD left.  
   Personally, I love the thing.  My heart enlargement is in my LV which puts in at a great risk for electrical storms. The ICD is a great insurance policy and I'm really greatful some cool person invented it.  If you look at the death status you will be greatful, too.  A boot to the chest is a small price to pay.