Congestive Heart Failure Community
Is a continuing cougha bad sign after mitral valve replacement?
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Is a continuing cougha bad sign after mitral valve replacement?

My father had his mitral valve replaced 4 months ago.  By the time he had it done, he was coughing enough that the doctors would not let him return home and directed him to go straight the hospital.  It has been four months and the cough has not gone away and may be getting worse again.  He is so worried that he won't go into the doctor.  I think he would be more apt to go in if he felt that he was not going to be told that he was going to die.  Is it possible that his lungs are still recovering from when they were filling back before he had his mitral valve replaced or is the coughing due to a problem with the new valve?
Thanks for your response.
Related Discussions
Hi,
Persistent cough for 4 months is definitely not a good sign and I’ll suggest getting an echocardiogram done to rule out the presence of CHF. CHF can be one of the important causes of persistent cough after any cardiac surgery. He may need drugs like lasix which can take care of the fluid overload in the lungs and thus facilitate in the improvement of the symptoms. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
21064_tn?1309312333
Blank
Momto3 is ...11 years post PVC abl... Comment