Congestive Heart Failure Community
LOW LVEF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

LOW LVEF

I had suffered Acute MI on 25.01.2009 and subsequently discharged from a
nursing home after thrombolysis on 30.01.2009.

During check up on 04.03.2009 I had undergone Angiograph and had to
undergo PTCA for LAD on 06.03.2009. Echocardiography done on 04.03.2009
indicated a LVEF of 35 %.

Again during check up on 21.04.2009, all parameters like Lipid Profile,
Blood sugar etc were found to be normal. However the LVEF was still at 36
%.

I am presently on Deplatt A 150, Ranolaz 500, Eptus 25, Cardivas 3.125 and
Tonact 20.

My questions are:
1. Does the LVEF improve with time ?
2. If the LVEf does not improve, what are the consequences ?
3. Is any medical aid avaialble for treating Low LVEF ?

Please advise.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
1. With medical therapy, the LVEF does improve over a period of time in majority. However, the extent of improvement varies a lot from patient to patient. It depends on a number of factors. For e.g. the age of the patient, the extent of damage to the heart muscle at the time of heart attack, the area of the heart muscle which is damaged and so on. In some patients, the LVEF doesn’t increase much but symptomatically they feel much better.
2. Basically, the job of the drugs is to ensure that load on the heart is reduced and thus the heart is able to perform better. If the load is reduced, the chances of the development of arrhythmias (disturbed rhythm) are also less. One thing is sure that the return of the LVEF to a normal one is not possible and it remains low. The aim of the treating physician is to ensure that it doesn’t go down. If it decreases over time, then the patient may develop symptoms of congestive heart failure which can manifest as swelling of feet, breathlessness etc.
3. The medical treatment available to treat low LVEF is drugs which increase the contractility of the heart. For e.g. digoxin. You can discuss this with your cardiologist.

I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind Regards.
Dear drsingh
Thanks for your post.
I am anxious to know about the time frame of which you made mention. In my case even after 3 months of MI, there was no appreciable change in EF. Does it take more time? This issue is bothering me. When can I again go for a echocardiography for assessment ? What levels of EF is considered adequate?

Please advise.

Best Regards
I had a major MI in 1994 and then a CABG the same year. Since my incident my LVEF has been 38%. I used to take aldactone but had to discontinue as it was increasing my serum Potassium level. Dr has now started me on Eptus 25 with strict advice that I do blood test for Potassium every week and report back to him. LVEF very rarely improves. I have an ICD implanted to address pacing and sudden heart stoppage. I feel fine and drive car and do all normal activities. Just be sure to limit your water intake and salt intake. Best of luck.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition