Congestive Heart Failure Community
Low EF

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Low EF

Hello, new to this forum.  My mother is 80 y/o, has CHF, recently had a pacemaker implanted, doing well since.  More recently underwent thallium stress testing and advised to have echocardiogram, which she did, showed EF of 35%.  Further advised to have angiography, which she most recently had done, coronary arteries look "awesome" and no stent advised.  The doctor performing the angio told her the EF is about 25-30 per the angio. I'm located about 2000 miles from my mother.  I'd like to advise her wisely.  She will contact her cardiologist next week to ask if she can get into cardiac rehab.  She is sticking to circa 700 mg Na (salt) daily, taking her meds as advised, keeping weight down, doing, as far as I can tell, everything correctly and as advised.  Is there anything else I can suggest she ask her cardiologist?  She has a great QOL and a family that loves her so much.  Thanks for your time and thoughts!
If she does not have symptoms I would advise to enjoy life as much as possible !!!!

Jesus
With such a low EF she obviously has sx's.  DOE, SOB, etc. I love my mother, just as most people would when a loved one has an illness being studied so much, I was hoping to learn any current research from a blog.  Not the most reliable of sources, of course.
There is nothing obvious... my last echo shows a 17% EF and I my only symptom is a bit of tiredness.

I do not understand, what you mean by DOE, for the SOB, due to HF, my experience is to avoid fluid retention. Be sure that she has the right dose of diuretics and takes all medicaments as prescribed. Also speak about other medications and supplements that she could be taken.

I will ask about the convenience of taking Vitamins B and D, does are normally depleted in long time medicated people.

If she takes any stomach protector (like omeprazole) I would check about its convenience (normally they are armful in the long run).

Some studies indicates that Co enzyme Q10 can increase the QOL of cardiac patients.

Of course a blood test to check its NA, K levels is required.

I doubt that she can do a diet of 700mg of NA.... 1000 should be more than enough. Look for sodium hidden in all aliments eg: In Spain 100gr of bread already have 600mg of NA.

Jesus
Thanks for your thoughts, jrbon.  My mother makes most of her own food, so yes it is indeed possible to consume only 700 mg Na daily.  I did not add in the initial post that the angio showed about 25% left ventricular function.  Her blood pressure is excellent, LDL, HDL, TChol all well within currently recommended levels.  Her left ventricular myocardial strength is very weak.  I suppose the benefit of this forum is support, as I do not believe any further interventional therapy will help her heart. She is certainly doing her part as a responsible patient.  DOE by the way = dyspnea on exertion, and SOB = shortness of breath. Interestingly, she herself did not think she had shortness of breath either, but it was obvious whenever I phoned her as she was out of breath just taking a few steps across the room to get the phone. This would be symptomatic.
Regards, b.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition