Congestive Heart Failure Community
Low Heart Rate

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Low Heart Rate

My husband has had diabetes and high blood pressure for some time now, struggles with both and is taking medicine for each.  One thing that concerns me is his low heart rate.  His blood pressure will be high but his heart rate ranges from 35 to 58.  Why is his heart rate so low?  Is lowering the heart rate the intent of some of the medications he is taking?
Given that the range of the "normal" pulse is often given as 60-100, it may be that your husband's heart rate is lower than optimal. What does your husband's cardiologist say about the issue?

Also, one of the most common medications given for high blood pressure is beta blockers, which tend to slow the heart rate. Perhaps your husband is taking one of those.
Apparently, in the absence of symptoms (fatigue, difficulty breathing, etc) low heart rate is not considered problematic. Also, the causes of low heart rate as a function of cardiac physiology are varied. Again, consulting your cardiologist would be the best way to get a definitive answer.
Thanks for the helpful information.  I am new at this message board so I responded in the wrong place I think.  His doctor confirmed what you are saying about the heart rate.  She said that is good and they want to keep it between 40 - 50.  I was concerned since mine was so much higher!
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
ChitChatNine commented on Croup - I thought adu...
Jul 16
173749 commented on Croup - I thought adu...
Jun 21
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
Jun 10