Congestive Heart Failure Community
Low Heart Rate
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Low Heart Rate

My husband has had diabetes and high blood pressure for some time now, struggles with both and is taking medicine for each.  One thing that concerns me is his low heart rate.  His blood pressure will be high but his heart rate ranges from 35 to 58.  Why is his heart rate so low?  Is lowering the heart rate the intent of some of the medications he is taking?
Related Discussions
3 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Given that the range of the "normal" pulse is often given as 60-100, it may be that your husband's heart rate is lower than optimal. What does your husband's cardiologist say about the issue?

Also, one of the most common medications given for high blood pressure is beta blockers, which tend to slow the heart rate. Perhaps your husband is taking one of those.
Blank
Apparently, in the absence of symptoms (fatigue, difficulty breathing, etc) low heart rate is not considered problematic. Also, the causes of low heart rate as a function of cardiac physiology are varied. Again, consulting your cardiologist would be the best way to get a definitive answer.
Blank
Thanks for the helpful information.  I am new at this message board so I responded in the wrong place I think.  His doctor confirmed what you are saying about the heart rate.  She said that is good and they want to keep it between 40 - 50.  I was concerned since mine was so much higher!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
MedHelp Health Answers
Recent Activity
168348_tn?1379360675
Blank
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
Jul 22
9310208_tn?1403204479
Blank
deannagrimsley is finally 9 weeks :) Comment
Jul 14
Blank
rgbird55 commented on Low potassium and no ...
Jul 10
Congestive Heart Failure Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...
Jul 20 by John C Hagan III, MD, FACS, FAAOBlank
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
3 Reasons Why You are Still Binge E...
Jul 14 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank
242532_tn?1269553979