Congestive Heart Failure Community
Non Surgical Treatment for Congestive Heart Failure

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

my father has congestive heart failure- is in the hospital and they are only treating him with Lasix- stating that it is Lasix or major surgery- those are the only 2 options. This does npot sound right to me. Please help.

My father iks 93.  Is on lipitor, blood pressure in the normal range- but can be high at times, but not consistently, no other medical conditions.  He is short of breath and his right arm is all swollen up today.  I know he may not live a long time from here- but it seems like they have already thrown the towel in.
At 93, a major open heart operation is not a very desirable option, especially if his heart is weak. The Lasix helps get the excess water out of his system making it easier for his heart to work while lowering his BP. The Lipitor is a cholesterol med which he is taking to control his lipid profile and keep his arteries clear.

How good is your father's overall health? Also, do you know what his EF% was?
what do the numbers mean when they say yuu are a cardic risk when your numbers are6.1
I would to need to know what it was referencing. I could be the number calculated from the Framingham risk calculator but 6.31 would be 6.1 out of 100, which is too low for a 93 year old. Did his doctor mention anything else with this number?
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
Jul 24
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
marilee176 bloating gas and indegestion Comment
Jul 16