PVC/VPC Questions and Concerns
I am a 23 year old female who has, for the 5 months or so, been suffering from near constant PVC's.I've always had occasional PVC's since the age of 18 - But nothing that I would really be concerned about. However, they have gradually become worse to the point where I can no longer exercise without the sensation of fainting or walk from my door to my car without the sensation that I'm going to collapse due to the constant PVC's. Twice in the past month I felt as if I was having a mini heart attack - The left side of my face felt slightly numb, I had these sharp pains that would bolt down the left side of my neck, into my chest and finally down my arm like some kind of electrical current wrapped in barbed wire. It lasted for a good 4 hours before it finalled calmed to nothing more that those constant PVC's. I also noticed that when they show up, I feel lightheaded and confused -Unable to answer simple questions correctly or comprehend sentences. I was put on Beta-Blockers (Metoprolol 50), but it actually made the situation worse to the point I didn't even want to get out of bed and the palpitations got so bad that they were keeping me up at night. I also have slightly high blood pressure and my HR is usually around 117-120 on a daily basis - So you can imagine my lethargy and frustration. I also notice that I have abnormally cold fingers all the time and and when the palpitations are really bad, I shake uncontrollably. A co-worker of mine also noticed that during surgery [I'm a vet tech] that I would take a sharp inhale breath then shake quite a few times during the 1hr and 1/2 surgery (I was having PVC's during this time.). I am going to a cardiologist and have a stress echo on December 3rd to try and diagnose this problem - But I would love to have pissibly options and ideas to take with me next time I see the doctor. Thank you so much for your time and I hope to hear ideas before the 3rd so I can be armed with information.
Fortunately, in young the PVC’s are usually not associated with any underlying structural heart disease and hence nothing much to worry. However, since you’re symptomatic and hence you need an evaluation and treatment for the same. The usual tests done are serum potassium levels as low potassium can precipitate the same, echocardiography to assess the status of the valves and the walls of the ventricles, holter monitoring (this is a 24 hr continuous ECG) to assess the extent of PVC’s (how often they occur in a day). In young people, the usual cause is consumption of alcohol, tobacco, cocaine, anxiety etc. The treatment is usually with betablockers like metoprolol only and sometimes in severe cases amiodarone is given. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.