Congestive Heart Failure Community
Pacemaker replacement and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Pacemaker replacement and pregnancy

I am 4 months pregnant and I just had my pacemaker check-up where I was told that I could have elective replacement surgery in 4 months.

1.) Is it ok to have this type of surgery while I'm pregnant or is it better for me to wait until I give birth?
2.) Will the surgery affect the baby in any way?

Any comments would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!
Avatar dr m tn
The pacemaker replacement surgery can be done during the pregnancy and there’s definitely risk to the growing fetus due to the radiation exposure which occurs during the insertion of the pacemaker to see the correct positioning of the leads, although lead shields are placed to avoid exposure to the baby. Nowadays, to avoid the same, the positioning of the leads can be done with the help of echocardiography and evaluation of the electro physiologic signals. In this procedure, there’s no radiation exposure and thus minimal risk to the growing baby.
I will suggest you to please consult a cardiologist and seek an opinion on the same.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted.
Kind regards.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
marilee176 bloating gas and indegestion Comment
Jul 16
ChitChatNine commented on My Crystal Ball Theor...
Jul 12