Pericardial Effusions
I don't know if I am at the correct forum and if not hopefully somebody can direct to the correct forum. I was told that I have small pericardial effusions. I have done some research on this issue, but I seem to be getting conflicting information. I am having a 2-D echocardiogram on Tuesday. I understand what the test is, but am still unclear on what these pericardial effusions actually are. If anyone can shed any light on this issue I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
Tracy
Pericardial effusion is an abnormal amount/collection of fluid within the pericardial sac. In this, the symptoms of the patients are dependent upon not only the amount of fluid within the pericardial cavity but also the speed with which it collects within the same. It can be due to several different aetiologies like inflammation (pericarditis), autoimmune (connective tissue diseases like SLE, rheumatoid arthritis), infectious like tuberculosis or due to some cancer. The examination of the fluid after aspiration helps in the diagnosis of the fluid. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.