Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Right ventricular lead relocation to RVOT

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Wishing to get some outside input on a pacemaker situation.  

I am trying to find out if the right ventricular lead can be removed from the apex and relocated at the right ventricular outlet tract (RVOT)?   Based on the studies I have read, this location does not lead to intra-ventricular dys-synchrony.

I wish to have the lead relocated is because of the possible development of pacemaker mediated cardiomyopathy or dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM).  The reason I feel that I have developed pacemaker mediated cardiomyopathy is because of the length of the implant (1997), over 15 years now; a 100% pacer (rate responsive); implantation at the right ventricular apex; and a decreased EF.   I have had 5 echocardiograms in the past three plus years.  They have ranged from 25% in 2009 to 40% in 2010 and now I am at 30%.  The 25% reading was during an atrial flutter episode which was ablated. I have a pacemaker because of complete heart block.  

To complicate the issue, a bi-ventricular pacemaker is not being considered because I do not qualify.  Even though my EF is at 30%, I am still in good shape at age 59.  I am asymptomatic and non-ischemic.  I exercise by running 15 to 20 miles a week and recently ran a sub 10 minute mile.  I do not have signs of pulmonary edema or swelling of the ankles.  Further, I make sure my weight is kept at a reasonable level.  I am not in heart failure.  

My cardiologist feels the medication I take, 50 mg/day Coreg plus an ACE inhibitor is the best approach and should maintain the EF within a range of 30% to 40%.  I do not have his confidence in the medication and am very concerned that the heart will continue to degrade and the EF will drop even further.  Not the scenario I want.  

I have discussed this issue with my cardiologist and the response is that there are no studies that back up relocating the lead as a plausible solution.  

I will add that I wish to stay in a dual chamber pacemaker because of future cost considerations.  The same reason I do not wish to have a defib.  

Can you please comment?  Thank you.  

Richard

Hi Richard,

Interesting post.  I will be brief:

1. There is no role to relocate the lead to the RVOT
2. If you are being RV paced 100% of the time, because you have a low EF (even without symptoms), one can defend putting in a coronary sinus lead thus upgrading you to a BIV system.  I am sure you can find a cardiologist willing to do this. If you had a normal EF and no symptoms, I would agree that there would be no role for BIV pacing (but such is not the case with you).

Good luck.

Dr. Rich