Should I be concerned about Left sided Neck Vein Pain
This site saved my life 18 months ago when I asked if my symptoms were normal. I was advised to see my cardiologist immediately.  Did so and was discovered to be suffering from advanced heart failure.  At the time a Mitral Valve Repair had collapsed and the valve was hanging by a thread.

History: 64 year old Scottish woman
             June 2009 St. Judes Aortic Valve replacement + Mitral Valve Repair
             September  2009 Mechanical Mitral Valve fitted

Recovery was much better after the second surgery but I am still struggling with breathlessness and on exertion such as a walk my vision becomes like kaleidoscope and on occassions I have lost my vision.  I also have infrequent fainting spells. The main reason for posting today is a Sharp Pain in the Left side of my neck which has been getting more frequent and yesterday was so bad I had to press hard on it to tollerate the pain.

? Is this just part of the condition or should I feel as concerned as I do. The last thing I want is to be a burden to my husband by having a stroke.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Kathy
Anytime you have unexplained pain, to the extent you describe, you should be seeing a doctor and have it checked.

Thank you I will make an appointment to see the local doctor.  I tend to worry about wasting their time.
Wasting their time?  That is what they get paid for.  Never worry about wasting their time when you are in pain.  

Pain is a signal from your body that something is not right, and yes if you worked out the day before pain starts, then it might be nothing, but not in your case, where the pain is intense, and is located in the area of a major artery, and you did nothing, that you are aware of, to cause it.

Where I live, a GP gets well over $200.00/visit, and usually the visit lasts about 5 minutes, and they move on to their next paying customer, so you won't be wasting their time, but rather making their time pay for being on the job, with no time wasted.

Come back here, and let us know what you find out, k?  Take care
Thanks for responding.  I will come back and let you know what the result is.  It will be Thursday before I can see a doctor.  I am in the UK so its a bit different here.

I really appreciate your thoughtfullness.

Best wishes Kathy

PS No I didn't work out the day before - haven't been able to work out since before the first surgery but I can get out for walks with my old dog.
Walking is good, but be mindful of the temp when you set out, and dress accordingly, as extreme cold can cause heart attack in people with heart problems.

Also, if you feel short of breath when walking, slow down, or stop for up to 45 minutes, or until you no longer feel short of breath.  If you still have problems, after 45 minutes of rest, then see your doctor about it, again, you won't be wasting their time, as shortness of breath after resting periods is something that needs to be addressed.

I'll be waiting to hear about what you find out at the doctors.  Take Care