Significance of NTproBNP test
I was diagnosed with mild diastolic heart failure five years ago (due to long term, very difficult to control hypertension).  My condition does not effect my daily activities much at all.  I an still walk three miles on flat land without getting out of breath.  Recently I had what my Primary Care doctor thought was bronchitis (from bacteria) and she ordered a chest X -Ray and blood test, as well as prescribing an antibiotic.  The chest X Ray showed a small pleural effusion.  The doctor increased my Lasix and I feel fine.  The blood test shows an NTproBNP level of 1,079.  I've never heard of this test before, but I was told that the normal range for my age is under 172.  I know I have mild diastolic heart failure and I am attempting to manage it (by losing 30 lbs so far and getting my BP under control).  My question is:  just what are the implications of having an NTproBNP score of 1,079?  Is anyone familiar with this test?  Thanks.
NTproBNP it is used as and indicator of HF and the evolution of it. You need to consider that can be affected by other problems like renal issues in which case the significance it is less.

With the info that I have I would say that you are borderline of a HF with preserved systolic function which seems to correspond with the information that you already have.

Jesus