Congestive Heart Failure Community
Stage 4 Congestive Heart Failure -- oral Lasix isn't working

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Why would a hospital refuse to do a thoracentesis when the fluids are worse today than when he was first admitted on 12/31/08.  Two weeks ago they did a thoracentesis the day after he was admitted and he was much relieved.  He was discharged three days later feeling much better.  He was readmitted today, given one i.v. dose of 120 mg Lasix and that's it.  They are offering no other treatment and are discharging him tomorrow.  Have they given up on him or what?

Baffled daughter
Are the fluids between his heart and lungs?  It could be that there is not much fluid there.  If the Lasix does not work, usually the next thing is kidney dialysis.  Kidney dialysis has risks with CHF patients.  The blood pressure can drop too low and the liver can be affected.  Lasix is best if his kidneys are still working.  
Hi, May I ask...how do u know what stage od CHF someone is in?
I am on 160 mg lasix a day for chf and cardiomyopathy ... also 5mg of zaroxolyn soemtimes they work good but soemtimes not working .. any advice what i should do as I cant afford to  gain any weight and need to take this fluid off
According to my doctors, the EF of the heart is how they tell what stage of failure you're in.

My case, I'm at 15-20% EF, and they are telling me that I'm am stage 4.  

Hope this helps.
Acute kidney failure- kidneys at 4%
Congestive Heart Failure-Severe
Lungs filling with fluid and infection-antibiotics no longer working,surgery was done and removed several puss pockets.
Refusal to do dialysis
How much more can a body take before it stops completly-death
Thank you
I increased my lasix from 40 mg to 60 mg because it wasn't working
Swimming helps too just do not over do it in the pool
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Cindy, and ChitChatNine commented on Cindy's status
May 20
Cindy sends heartfelt thanks to a... Comment
May 18
Cindy commented on Cindy's status
May 18