Congestive Heart Failure Community
Swollen left leg

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

Swollen left leg

I am 40 year old female,  with an 18 mo. Old, and an 8 month old. I use to smoke heavily, and was morbidly obese for close to 18 years.  I had gastric bypass surgery 07', and got down to 115 from 325.  I have lots of loose pand vericose veins from my hip to knee.  After my back to back pregnancies, my thyroid has stopped working properly,ans I am at 225.

About a month before I got pregnant, my left leg swelled up (I am also left handed if that helps) fairly well with no other symptoms. When I was recently pregnant, just my left legs swelled up with a little achiness, but no redness, severe pain.  I went to the nurse who dismissed it as nothing to worry about.  

The last couple of days my left leg is swollen, is a bit achy when I stand on it for too long. No redness, it is about 2 cm bigger than the right. I have vericose / spider veins only on my left leg.  Since it is off and on over the last 3.years , could I worry less about dvt?

Could it just be the veins?  I am also left handed if it helps. I have no history of blood clots.

Thank you
Hi there!
It is common for the legs to swell up during pregnancy due to pressure caused by the baby on the major veins. Also there are a few conditions that could occur in pregnancy and cause renal compromise causing swelling. Swelling while not being pregnant could be caused by issues related to the heart, kidneys, liver etc, aside DVT Without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine which of these could be responsible. I would suggest getting this evaluated by a primary care physician at your earliest convenience for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this helps.

Take care!
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition