Congestive Heart Failure Expert Forum
Teenager with ef of 45

CHF is a condition in which the heart can’t pump enough blood to meet the body’s needs. In some cases, the heart can’t fill with enough blood. In other cases, the heart can’t pump blood to the rest of the body with enough force. Some people have both problems. The term "heart failure" doesn’t mean that your heart has stopped or is about to stop working. Heart failure is a serious condition that requires medical care. This forum is a place to ask questions about CHF. Some examples are: How is CHF diagnosed? What treatment options are available for me?

If you have a question that requires immediate medical attention, or if you think you may have an emergency situation, please call your doctor or 911 IMMEDIATELY!

Teenager with ef of 45

My son was told today that he has an ef of 45 and it is the left side of his heart. He is 19 years old. Over the last 6 months or so he has lost quite a bit of weight which was of concern to me and his mother. He complained about funny feeling in his heart. Now we find this out. We are besides ourselves as to what the future brings for him. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Please allow me to begin my apologizing for this exceedingly late response.  There was a technical issue that led to me not seeing this post until now.  

Regarding your son, I have to imagine that you are all very scared.  Perhaps by now you have received some answers from the cardiologist you are seeing.  The second most important thing you can do is o "take a deep breath".  Everything will get sorted out. I do not have nearly enough information to provide you with a diagnosis or even thoughts about treatments, etc. at this time however.

So what is the MOST important thing you can do?  Make sure you are seeing a cardiologist who you feel comfortable with and whom you trust.  Despite not having a lot of information, I feel confident that whatever is going on can be diagnosed and effectively treated.

Please let me know if I can be of further help.

Best,

Dr. Rich
My son also feels like he has arrhythmia. The doctor hasn't stated that this is the case. We see the cardiologist tomorrow.