Congestive Heart Failure Community
What is a hypokinetic heart wall?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

What is a hypokinetic heart wall?

I have a history of peripartum cardiomyopathy which resolved after my pregnancy 5 years ago.  I have recently been short of breath and received another Echo.

What does "The basal and mid inferior wall and basal and mid inferlateral wall are hypokinetc" mean?  I am seeing a new cardiologist tomorrow and would like to have some more information to base my questions on.  Also, my EF is down to 45%.

Thanks much!
Avatar dr m tn
The hypokinesia means that the wall of the ventricle is contracting adequately or there’s decreased contractility of the ventricles. This is usually an indicator of a muscle which is not getting adequate blood supply or is already dead. The EF is also less which should normally be around 60% or more. Hence, you should ask your cardiologist regarding the cause of decreased EF. Is it due to some persisting Cardiomyopathy or is it due to some new problem like coronary artery disease. You might need further tests like a stress echo or angiography to assess the status of your coronary arteries. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
uush uploaded new photos
Aug 16
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
Jul 24
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21