Congestive Heart Failure Community
What should I ask doctor regarding CHF?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

What should I ask doctor regarding CHF?

1 month ago my father (76 years old and 25 years diabetes) was hospitalized (one week) because short breath, high glucose (548), and gout.
Because his swelling not becomes better for one month, I brought him to hospital again one week ago.
Today his doctor said my father heart is weak (BP 90/60 – 105/70) and can leave hospital tomorrow.
Today my father can do normal live although tired for little activity and his swelling much better.

What should I ask doctor regarding his heart status?
What is the mean actually, I don’t see doctor act something?

Thank You
Avatar dr f tn
Hello and hope you are doing well.

If the ejection fraction is below 35%, it is diagnosed as heart failure. The ejection fraction is a useful measure of left ventricular performance. The normal range is 63-77% for males and 55-75% for females. It reflects the pumping capacity of the heart.

Due to cardiac failure the heart is not able to pump adequate blood to different organs in the body. In this process the kidneys too receive inadequate blood and to compensate for this start retaining sodium. When the sodium content in the blood increases it causes fluid to seep out and cause edema.  To improve this, the heart’s pumping capacity has to be improved and the excess fluid needs to be pumped out.

So, you should ask your doctor what his present ejection fraction is. The pumping capacity of the heart can be increased with medications. Follow a low salt regimen diet and restrict fluids as instructed by your doctor. Also, his diabetes must be adequately controlled.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Thank You

My father already leave hospital and his legs very good.
His doctor said my father EF is 20% and I worry about that.
Three days on home his legs get swelling again.

He have schedule to test using radioactive that i understand "to know flexibility of heart muscle"

Hope my father getting well.
Avatar dr f tn
Good Luck
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Cindy Is DISAPPOINTED!! Where a... Comment
Jonreil72 M Comment
Mar 23