Aa
A
A
Close
air travel and congestive heart failure
My 89 year old mother is still 'fit', active, cleans her house, gardens, walks etc, but has congestive heart failure with an ejection fraction of 13% to 17%.  She wants to fly from UK to Switzerland (one and a half hours) to visit her daughter.  She has often flown in the past and is very comfortable making the journey, but I wonder if it poses an additional thread to her already fragile health. Her heart attack was six years ago and she was not treated until about 5 or 6 hours after onset of symptoms, so she clearly suffered damage, and has had bouts of atrial fibrilation since.  What do you advise?  I would be very grateful for any information you can give me..
Cancel
2 Answers
Page 1 of 1
Hi,
Since she doesn’t appear to have decompensated CHF, she can travel but seeing her Ejection fraction, she needs to take certain precautions before the air travel.
1. Get a latest ECG and get it examined to rule out any possible new arrhythmias.
2. Ensure she takes all her medications along in the hand baggage and not put it in the check-in baggage.
3. She should ask for a wheel chair and avoid exertion by walking too much at the airports.
4. She needs to inform the airline about her medical condition so that she’s taken good care of, God forbid, if there’s an emergency and keep the oxygen cylinder close to her, in case, she requires during the flight.
I sincerely hope that helps. Please do keep me posted. Kind regards.
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Thank you so mcu for this information.  I know of a number of contacts who have travelled long distance to New Zealand etc. and have been severly negatively affected by this travel.  It is good to know that the short flight should be Ok for her.  Kind Regards, Gillie22
Comment
Cancel
Comment
Comment
Comment
Submit Comment
Your Answer
Answer
Know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Answer
Submit Answer
A
A
Blank
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Start Tracking Now
Recent Activity
566249 tn?1294661218
Blank
GardeniaDreams So very tired. Comment
Jul 24
Blank
5665 commented on Think LYRICA was culp...
Jul 21
Blank
marilee176 bloating gas and indegestion Comment
Jul 16
Congestive Heart Failure Community Resources