Congestive Heart Failure Community
cardiovascular disorders

This patient support community is for discussions relating to Congestive Heart Failure (CHF).

cardiovascular disorders

what is rheumatic fever?
Rheumatic fever is an inflammatory disease which is a complication of inadequately treated strep throat. It can cause permanent damage to the heart, including damaged heart valves and heart failure. Prevention of recurrence is achieved by eradicating the acute infection and prophylaxis with antibiotics. Monthly injections of long acting penicillin must be given for a period of five years in patients having one attack of rheumatic fever.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

I am a survivor of rheumatic fever.  The only sympthoms I had were pains in my joints.  My elbows, knees and shoulder blades all at different times.  I was not diagnosed with rheumatic fever until after having complications with swelling because of  heart problems. I did receive injections of long acting penicillin from the time I was 13 until my first heart surgery.  I have since had two mitral valve replacements over the last 40 years.  Rheumatic fever at 10 - 13.  First valve replace at 21 and second at 35 yrs old.

Hope this helps.
BloodPressure Tracker
Track your Heart Condition
Feeling very tired
Feb 01 by diianna
diianna commented on rumpled's status
Feb 01
012516
Jan 26 by crb1487